PEOPLE ARE LONELY BECAUSE THEY BUILD WALLS INSTEAD OF BRIDGES.

Saturday 13 October, 2007

LSE!!


London School of Economics and Political Science… Well, what more can I say :-) Over 8000 students spread over 175 courses!

My class has 194 students

Average age: 24 yrs… Most students are freshers… I guess I am amongst the eldest (there are a few ppl who are 38 too!!!)

Countries represented: 40

Out of 194, 23 are Indians - the maximum representation from a single country! Next comes Greece with 21!

I am still in the process of getting to know people… So I just have acquaintances right now… no friends! (Yes… I am missing all my friends back home… sometimes it’s weird! I realize life has moved on for everyone else back home… but maybe I am just not willing to let go!)

I’ve had classes since I don’t know when! 7 days a week… 6 hours a day! It’s very taxing. But on the flip side – it’s challenging and the sky is the limit to what you can learn… it’s just upto you! Few of the students try and flaunt their limited knowledge but finally just land up becoming laughing stocks. Like this one guy who got up and said “Sir you have written 2x… shouldn’t the answer be 2x+0?” DUH!!!! I felt like getting up and banging his head against the wall… (well… don’t worry about the poor guy! I did not do anything…)

One thing I have noticed that people get very self centered… I feel like I’m alone amidst a horde of people! I am sure everyone will be diagnosed with multiple personality disorder! The infinite number of facades will put Ravan to shame J It’s a rat race – jobs, grades are the cheese. Watching everyone run helter-skelter, trampling over others in order to get ahead of the swarm… just to be trampled over by someone else, never fails to amuse me!

At one point of time I was frustrated… did not know how to react… was so bogged down by the milieu… But very soon I realized that my frustration was so futile… Suddenly I was at peace with myself and the world around me! Luckily I have a world outside the rut… every evening I come back to a place I call home… a small cosy place which envelops me with a lot of warmth and drives away all my anxiety!

Everyone asks me if I want to work here… Truly speaking, it’s a tussle! The head says to stay back, atleast to earn back the money dad has invested in me… the heart pulls me towards home… l have always believed that the heart never lies! But right now I really don’t know where life is headed! As always I am sure God will just point me in the right direction… just waiting for his sign :-)

I finally caught a cold! hehe… and I felt “Yeh to hona hi tha!!” Yes, I have picked up a trifling flavour of the local lingo… It’s just a lot of fun! Aditi and I break into peels of laughter as we speak to each other “Yes Darling”… or “No my love” or “No worries” or “lovvvvely”!

I read something during my 40 minute train journey… currently reading “Kite Runner”… amazing book (thanks for the gift Deepu!) I guess my facial expressions convey the story to my fellow travelers… I have caught many people giving me weird looks!! :-) Overall I have settled in as much as I ever can… studying hard, trying to gain as much as I can! Yes, I do feel lonely… but I guess it’s quite an expected sentiment… so as the Brits say “No worries!” :-)

4 comments:

AB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AB said...

"not quite friends but only acquaintances!" update that asap! lol

not sure if i should read your blog as it will take away some of your privacy.

btw i agree with your first impressions of London. however, can't say that India was full of laughing smiling people on the streets - at least, not madras ;)

Jyoti said...

Yes Adi... more than friends I found myself a bro! Cheers to that... :-) and not that everyone in India smiles all the time... but I always feel like I belong, like they are my people... don't feel that kind of warmth here... and dude... u need to come to Bangalore!!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Jyothi, those days in school we always worried about board exams. Lots of pressures from peers, parents and school have already given you[ever one] a feel of rat race. Best part of that is it all happened at such an early stages of your life.Now when you sit back and run through those little pressures, it sounds silly, right?

Similarly down the line at some phase in your life, you feel same for this LSE bottleneck and uneasiness.So cheer up and move ahead. You are known to everyone as a very bright and jovial person.
To sum up,nothing can bring you down JJ, cheer up !!!